An Update from August on Works with Nest
Our takeaways are here:
- After August 19, any newly created Nest accounts will not support Works with Nest connections.
- All existing Nest accounts created prior to August 19 will continue supporting WWN integrations.
- WWN will continue working as usual provided the user does not migrate from a Nest account to a Google Account.
- If a WWN user/Nest account holder chooses to migrate to a Google Account, all WWN device connections will no longer work after the change. The user will be shown all their current WWN partner integrations, and they must explicitly agree to disconnect them to complete account migration. Once the Nest account has switched to a Google account, the user can then set up an integration with their Google account and their August account.
- After August 31, Nest account holders will not be able to make a new or reauthorize a WWN connection. However, existing WWN connections will continue to work after this date.
- You’ll receive an email invitation from Nest to migrate from a Nest account to a Google account, but if you’d like to migrate now, you can select the “Sign in with Google” option in the most recent version of the Nest app. But we recommend waiting until you get the invite from Nest.
May 16, 2019: This morning Google announced an updated plan for the Works with Nest program sunset. The updated plan addresses many of the concerns customers and partners have had, and most importantly, Google has stated:
Your existing devices and integrations will continue working with your Nest Account, however you won’t have access to new features that will be available with a Google Account. If we make changes to the existing WWN connections available to you with your Nest Account, we will make sure to keep you informed.
We’ll stop accepting new WWN connections on August 31, 2019. Once your WWN functionality is available on the WWGA platform you can migrate with minimal disruption from a Nest Account to a Google Account.
Here’s the TLDR from the August team: If you are an August customer and currently have a Nest account and rely on the integration, you should hold off on switching to a Google account until the new features are finalized. The August 31 deadline is now when new WWN connections will no longer be possible. There is no published timeline for current WWN functionality to be removed.
We are continuing to work closely with Google and will continue to update you with any changes.
You can read their update here.
May 9, 2019: Earlier this week Google announced that the Works with Nest program would be ending on August 31, 2019. As a member of the Works with Nest program we know that we have customers who will be affected by this. We are working closely with Google to understand how we can continue our partnership and still deliver the same product experience our customers expect.
August remains committed to integrating customer feedback. As part of that, we’ll be reaching out to those August customers who use the Nest integration to understand what features of the integration are most important to their daily lives.
August and Google will continue to work together as part of the Works with Google Assistant program and there is no change to those integrations. We will continue to keep our customers updated as we get closer to August 31st.