Just say the word. Did you know that the August Smart Lock is the first and only smart lock that works with all three major voice assistants? Connecting your August Smart Lock to your favorite voice assistant requires an August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge to connect your lock to Wi-Fi and start talking to your favorite voice assistant.
Here’s how you can use your voice to control your August Smart Lock.
Whether you’re using an Echo or one of the many other new devices coming with Alexa built-in, it’s easy to get up and running with the August skill.
- Follow this link to the August Home Skill for Alexa and click the “Enable Skill” button.
- Log in to your August account.
- Unlocking with your voice requires a PIN for security. If you’d like to use Alexa to unlock your lock select yes when prompted and create a PIN.
With that you’re all set, you’ll be able to say…
- Alexa, ask August to lock/unlock the door
- Alexa, ask August if my door is locked
Want to use your voice to control your August Doorbell Cam. Install the August Smart Home Skill and view your camera feed on an Alexa Show by saying, “Alexa, show me the front door camera.”
If you’re all in on iPhone and HomeKit, controlling your lock with Siri is a breeze. You can even control your lock by talking to Siri on your Apple Watch or through the Home app on your iOS device.
- Make sure you’re near your lock. Open the August app on your iPhone and click the gear icon at the bottom right.
- Tap on your lock and select “Home Settings” then tap “Enable Siri.”
- When prompted, add a new HomeKit house or choose an existing one to add your August Smart Lock and then select which room to associate it with.
- Remove the battery cover from your Smart Lock and scan the HomeKit code on the inside of the cover when prompted.
Once you’ve done that, HomeKit and Siri are ready to go. Hold down the home button on your iPhone or the crown button on your Apple Watch to say…
- Siri, Lock/unlock my door
- Siri, is my door locked?
The Google Assistant
If you’re on Android or if you have a Google Home you’re more than familiar with the Google Assistant already. On most modern Android phones the Assistant is just a long press of the home button or an “Ok Google” away. Getting started on your phone is easy.
- Open the Google Assistant on your phone and ask it to “talk to August.”
- Click through on the prompt to sign in and link your August account.
- Click agree to allow the Google Assistant to access your lock.
Once you’ve done that you’ll be able to say…
- Ok Google, ask August to lock my door
- Ok Google, ask August to check if my door is locked